Monday, February 6, 2012

I am feeling that this Gospel is True

Dear Family,

It is amazing how much can happen in one week. We've had some rough days and some great ones too. We know that the Lord has been blessing us with every little piece of success we have. But as I grow to understand the nature of the gospel, what one has to do to be saved, a sadness I've never felt before pains me. I haven't always been a crier have I? Maybe I have, haha. But it is getting more and more interesting as the Lord opens my eyes to the truths of the Gospel and how to teach it so clearly that it can't be denied. And the people don't deny it can be true, but they act on their agency to choose the wrong. I know the Lord will bless us with great people to teach, he says "Los míos escuchan mi voz, y no endurecen sus corazones." It says that those of His sheep hear His voice and will not harden their hearts. But my job as a missionary of Christ is to make it possible that they do Hear HIS voice, and not just mine.

We had a powerful experience this last week in a lesson. I was testifying of The Book of Mormon and Jesus Christ to a leader of the local Evangelical Church in a lesson after we had taught the Restoration, and I felt like the room was shaking. I asked my companion afterwards and he said he had felt the same thing. In the end, the man accepted the Book of Mormon to read and pray, but it was sad because he has kind of disappeared himself from us now. All the people have to do is understand the nature of God and His plan for us and they themselves will remember these truths. But they are backed up against the wall of faith. "But my pastor says this...blah blah." I'm not frustrated, just excited to find people prepared. Just pray that the Lord pours His Spirit over my sector, and also over La Isla Trinitaria. We have some good baptismal dates for this next month. Obedience is the key to everything. What would make me happiest would be to know that my family is strong in the Church and reading the Book of Mormon every day as a family. Nothing else matters. I really am so happy though. The Lord allows me to suffer and then gives me peace. I love life.

So I will be District leader over three areas. The Zone leaders are in my district. We are Zone Cisne. Tomorrow I will be receiving my new companion. He is from Argentina I heard. Right now I am with my good friend Elder Josh Nilsen. We can't believe we are together. He will be training also so he is staying the night at my house since his companion just became Zone leader in my district. Small world. There really aren't coincidences. I am so happy to see how he has progressed and matured. There really isn't anything that makes me happier right now than to see other people choose the right and change for the better. I sometimes wonder and have thoughts like Alma in Alma 29, but it is better to realize what he realizes. The Lord does his work the way he does it and we can do it or not. I want to do it. and I want to do it right. And we don't do it to satisfy our vain ambitions. We do it because we love the Lord and depend on Him. Pray for Charity for 3 months every night and you'll see the change and know what I'm talking about. Do you think the Apostles get sad?

Well the Lord has blessed me so much. I love you all with all my heart. Te quiero y te agradezco mucho mami. Mom and Dad, your example of love, forgiveness, and loyalty to the Lord in the Home growing up made all the difference. It was the fact that we never gave up. If we missed a week of family night, we never gave up and said "Forget it, we are done." We always had the goals and tried our best and it was that constant reminder of the Lord in my life that has helped me know I can trust Him with everything. Even when we start a Sacrament Meeting with 50% of the attendance that is my little group of investigators. Please hold to The Rod. The Rod of Iron. Chemical symbol for Iron is Fe. Faith in Spanish. Love it. Love you. We get to go to the temple tomorrow with the new group! :)

With all my heart,
Elder Jacob H Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment