Monday, February 13, 2012

Pride Test

Dear Family,

My companion is Elder Enrique Olaya from Bogota, Colombia, the south-mission part. He is great, he's honest, has a testimony, and is ready to work. He told me he had been praying all of the MTC to have a companion who wouldn't be lazy. That makes me really happy. We started out great this week. We will have a baptism this next Saturday of Thannyat Lopez, 21 anos. Pray it goes through. She is the lady who was a Jehovas Witness for 10 years but at the last second left and didn't get baptized because she felt like they didn't have all the truth. Okay, the power of the Book of Mormon is real. She accepted a baptismal date early and is getting baptized within a month of meeting her. Now what's the difference? Why did she study 10 years with them and not get baptized and now she is getting baptized within a month? The Book of Mormon. We explained the doctrine simply, clearly, and by the Spirit, and she completed her reading assignments and came to church. God answered her humble prayer and she received a testimony from the Spirit.

Sadly not everyone is that humble. Isaías 29 is the chapter of the week. After my study today, combine that chapter with 3 Nefi 11 and you will be undeniable. The doctrine of Christ. Pride Test. Okay what am I trying to get at is that I have found a good pride test. Now I'm not sure how accurate it is but I do have the scriptures to back it up. It goes a little something like this: You know you have a problem with Pride when you are not reading the Book of Mormon Every Day.Wow, strong right? I don't know. Not really, I think it works. I know I had some problems with pride all through high school because of this. Deuteronomio 8:3 We live not only by bread but by the word of God. Every day el pueblo de Israel was given manna. Everyday they ate from the mouth of God. EVERY day we need to eat from the mouth of God. Okay, now you say "I read the scriptures every day and what does this have to do with Pride?" This is the cool part. Isaías 29:18-19 Okay so it's talking about the Book of Mormon obviously in verse 18 because it is the book that was brought to light so that we could learn DOCTRINE (last verse) and we look to 3 Nefi 11:28-30 and we see that the true doctrine of Christ destroys confusion and obviously the Bible has not done that for the world alone up until now. So it becomes obvious that verse 18 in Isaias 29 is talking about the Book of Mormon, now the next verse tells us if we have too much Pride. "Los humildes crecerán en alegría en Jehova y los pobres entre los hombres se regocijarán en el Santo de Israel." In english it would say something like: The humble will grow in joy and the poor among men will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

If we are humble we accept the Book of Mormon. If we are humble we read every day (Duet.8:3) This is the book that would open the eyes of the blind. This is the book that will give us what we need in preparation for the Second Coming. How am I applying this in the mission field? The simple doctrine, faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. 3 Nephi 11:40 more or less isn't from God. I don't care if all religions teach about the same Jesus or they all teach us to do what's right, God is not a God of confusion, but of Peace (1 Cor. 14:33) You show me another church where the peace of God is felt like it is in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You can't.

We teach with love. So that we can be filled with love and charity we refrain from being too passionate, Alma 38:12. We pray that God fills our heart with this love, Moroni 7, last verse. It's all true! Just accept the little things such as family and friends. Be constant. How are we with the Pride Test? I challenge you all to read every day the Book of Mormon and to keep a study journal of the things you learn. (1Nefi 1:16 and 2 Nefi 4:15)

I love you all so much. Ask me questions about things you want to know. I haven't gotten the birthday letters yet. It's been pretty rainy lately, the streets flood a few good inches. Then it gets really hot. Mosquitos aren't too bad. We use repellent. My shoes are wearing through. Might have to start looking into that. I hear Ecuador doesn't carry size 12, haha. Hasta la próxima.

Love,
Elder Jacob Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment